Saturday, July 23, 2011

Muy Caliente!


We're experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in the district-o-columbia. Oh please let this break soon. I really do love heat, but this hot is too heated! It is too humid! I really feel as though I am walking through something sticky, like carmel.
Thunder storms are in the forecast for tomorrow, so looking forward to that and hoping that it will relieve us just a bit.

The heat, when it is THIS hot....does something a little nutty to me. My tolerance level goes from 10 to 2 in about 30 seconds flat. Not good when you are rearing a toddler, well a 4.5 year old boy who has LOADS of energy!

Today was a slightly difficult day as a parent. I found it very difficult to run two errands. That being; driving in the car to get a coffee for me and a 'treat' for Henry and going to 'Bed Bath and Beyond.' This trip included multiple temper tantrums. Given that the toddler has no interest in taking a nap where a needed nap is due, well, this truly is a recipe for disaster. I kept telling myself to keep cool. How does one do that when it is 107 degrees? How?
Well, not so well.

We're in B, B and Beyond (to hell) when my son decides while his grandmother, aka Nonna, picks up her much needed dust buster, that he too NEEDS to have a dust buster as well.
"Honey love," I tell him, " you have a dust buster at home, you have two, the one mommy uses and the one that you got for Christmas."
"No, no," he says, "I need one, I need my own dust buster. You make me so sad mommy, you are hurting my feelings so much! I want a dust buster!"
Urgh! Pulling out the 'you hurt my feeling so much.' Total killer to the mama heart.
"Hen love, you have one," I confirm.

No this isn't gonna work mama.
It doesn't matter WHAT I say at this point. The tired, sticky hot toddler is on a mission to acquire his OWN dust buster TODAY (even if it means he truly has his own play one at home that actually works and sucks up dust)! Well I did NOT break down and buy the child a new dust buster, I just had to do my darn-dest to keep it together while my child let out blood curdling screams (got plenty of looks).

"Control yourself Henry, calm down and take 3 deep breaths," I said.
I'm sure customers were wondering, "Is this chick for real?"
Yeah, I was, for real. My kid does take deep breaths during those out of control moments to help center him. At least we do our best to try!

Finally, Henry realized he could just hold onto the box that contained Nonna's dust buster and announce it was his. We just went along with him "this is mine, my dust buster!" He proclaimed.

Sure, kiddo! Whatever, I kept thinking to myself.
Well, whatever I could do in order to keep my head on straight.
Argh! I felt like such a HORRIBLE mom.
Horrible. That feeling of not being able to help your child through those uncontrolable moments, is a killer. He just had to roll with it.

Once in the car, I was relieved to be buckled in securely (for the safety of all, not just mine)! Whew! What the hell was that?

Note to self: DO NOT go one errands on a scorcher day like today.
Spend it instead at the POOL, crazy lady!


Not such a good moment today at the B, B and Beyond (gone)! Delighted in that the day has come to an END. And better yet, my child is his happy little boy self (even though he never napped) and has no interest in Nonna's dust buster!

No comments: